Excerpts from Moving Picture World, February 21, 1914:
“The accompanying photo-engraving is a view of the Jefferson Theater, 811-813 Myrtle Avenue, Brooklyn, N.Y. It is owned and managed by the Jefferson Photo Show Company, comprised of George Hilkemeier, president, and William Hilkemeier, secretary and treasurer.
“As soon as the late Mayor Gaynor signed the ordinance allowing among other things that all New York motion picture theaters may have a seating capacity of six hundred seats, Messrs. Hilkemeier got busy and soon the contractors were hard at work renovating the house to take advantage of the law. In addition to running the Jefferson Theater, the company operates four airdromes in the eastern part of Brooklyn.
“The Hilkemeier Brothers have been in the business since 1904 when they bought their first picture house for the sum of $150. They have always kept their original policy of a good, clean show in the forefront, resulting in big profits. They do not believe in the ‘country store’ inducements or any other such device to get the public patronizing their shows, and are firmly convinced that these schemes will past out of existance in the evolution of the business.”
A 1943 Housing Authority photograph of the Jefferson shortly before its demolition:
He is available for theatre walks and talks in 2013.